Re: A Test to Select Competent technical Writers

Subject: Re: A Test to Select Competent technical Writers
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 13:59:51 PST

>David Dubin writes:

>Situation:
>Your department has purchased a new computer for a new staff member who has
>some knowledge of personal computers. This personal computer consists of a
>monitor, keyboard, mouse, and CPU unit. All these components are packaged
>together in one single box, along with the instructions and warranty.

>Requirement:
>You are to write documentation for the new staff member to explain how to set
>this personal computer up for the first time and to test its operation. Us
>all the space on the following pages. You will have five minutes for this
>exercise.

Five minutes? Seems excessive. Here's my entry (I am assuming
that my documentation consists of a sheet of paper taped to the box,
and that the employee can figure out where the computer goes, since
it wasn't stated in the problem):

"The instructions are packed with this computer. Please find them, read
them, follow them. Ask Shipping & Receiving what to do with the
box. Let me know when the system's up and running."

Admittedly, it's verbose. "Jane, set me up" would
also do, in all likelihood.

Am I hired?

-- Robert