Resume vs. cv

Subject: Resume vs. cv
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 14:47:57 IST

I just got a poke in the virtual ribs from a fellow expatriate American
for requesting a "cv" from job applicants. Should I have said "resume"?
Is there a difference in meaning between the two? Are there many qualified
hunters of writing jobs who don't know what a cv is? Would people expect
to see "cv" or (capitalized) "CV"?

I suggest sending any simple votes to me ("CV is bad, resume is good"...),
any long reasoned arguments ("it seems to me that because of the diacritical
marks in 'resume'...") to the list.

||- Mark L. Levinson, mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il -- Box 5780, 46157 Herzlia, Israel -||
|| You can't judge right by looking at the wrong. - Willie Dixon ||