Re: Resume vs. cv

Subject: Re: Resume vs. cv
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 10:03:00 PST

My understanding is that the Curriculum Vitae (Life History) is used mostly
in academia (includes published material). I also know that at east some
U.S. Congressmen require a CV when hiring staffers. Are there any other
industries that require such detailed background and job histories?
============
At 2:47 PM 3/5/95 +0000, Mark Levinson wrote:
>I just got a poke in the virtual ribs from a fellow expatriate American
>for requesting a "cv" from job applicants. Should I have said "resume"?
>Is there a difference in meaning between the two? Are there many qualified
>hunters of writing jobs who don't know what a cv is? Would people expect
>to see "cv" or (capitalized) "CV"?

>I suggest sending any simple votes to me ("CV is bad, resume is good"...),
>any long reasoned arguments ("it seems to me that because of the diacritical
>marks in 'resume'...") to the list.
=============

=======================
Regards,

Marc

Technical Writer/Trainer
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr.
Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"An idiot with a computer is a faster, better idiot"
- Rich Julius