Re: Resume vs. cv

Subject: Re: Resume vs. cv
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 13:49:00 PST

Remind me never to aply for one of these jobs!
===============
At 3:22 PM 3/6/95 -0500, Deborah Kluge wrote:
>At 10:03 AM 3/6/95 PST, Marc Santacroce wrote:
>>My understanding is that the Curriculum Vitae (Life History) is used mostly
>>in academia (includes published material). I also know that at east some
>>U.S. Congressmen require a CV when hiring staffers. Are there any other
>>industries that require such detailed background and job histories?

>I do a lot of technical work for various international development agencies
>and also prepare proposals for funding from these groups. They all require
>very detailed CVs, and they refer to them as CVs. The U.S. Agency for
>International Development (USAID) is particularly stringent with regard to
>this: for proposals, they not only want a detailed CV, but they also want a
>"resume" in the form of a narrative. For "key personnel" being proposed for
>a position, this narrative can run from 1-2 pages; for short-term
>consultants, it is usually a paragraph. Finally, every proposed staff
>member and consultant must fill out what is called a "Biographical Data
>Sheet" This form is sort of a summary of the CV. The narrative resume is
>put in the body of the proposal; the CV is attached as an appendix along
>with the Biodata Sheet. In most instances, the people being proposed are
>not academics; they are regular people who specialize in various aspects of
>international development. All in all, the process is a real pain, extra
>work, and a waste of paper.

>In addition, there is always a lot of confusion as to which is the singular
>and which is the plural (curricula vita or curriculum vitae). Some people
>use the singular, some use the plural, and others use a bit of both.

>Debbie
>Debbie Kluge *************** kluge -at- clark -dot- net *********** Columbia, MD

=======================
Regards,

Marc

Technical Writer/Trainer
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr.
Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"An idiot with a computer is a faster, better idiot"
- Rich Julius