Negroponte

Subject: Negroponte
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 01:52:40 -0800

>"I am convinced that by the year 2005 more hours will be spent by
>Americans on the Internet . . . than watching network television."

>Nicholas Negroponte, Being Digital (Knopf, 1995)

Since we're quoting Negroponte, how about this from the same book:

***********Long pause while I search unsuccessfully***************
*************for a book I just finished yesterday!****************

Anyway, I'll paraphrase.

Negroponte says that the paper software manual is an obsolete technology.
Programs of the future will teach you everything you need to know about
using them. They'll also learn enough about your needs and quirks to
anticipate what you want to do.

This hardly does justice to Negroponte. Out of context it seems far out, but
in the context of his book it's easy to believe. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Technical Writer in Berkeley CA srm -at- c2 -dot- org