Re: Tests to Select Competent Writers

Subject: Re: Tests to Select Competent Writers
From: Barb Miller <millerb -at- TCPLINK -dot- NREL -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 11:25:55 MDT

Ellen writes:
>The company flew me from Austin, Texas out to LA, where
>I was interviewed by company bigwigs, given a tour
>of the company, and given a four-and-half-hour psychological exam
>(administered to me by a medical professional in Tustin, CA).

>Sample test question:
>What would you rather be?:
>a. an accomplished painter earning large sums for your canvases
>b. a well-compensated full-back on a winning football team
>c. a real-estate salesman winning top awards and commissions

I love these test questions primarily aimed at men. I would choose "none of
the above."

I had a manager once who showed us all a film about a charity football game
between cops and kids in trouble. It came down to the last play where the
cops had the option of kicking the extra point to tie the game or go for
the 2-point conversion to win. They opted for the 2-point conversion and
won the game.

I think the point the manager was trying to make was to take a risk to win.
As a woman, I thought tieing would make for a better relationship between
the cops and kids.

But what do I know! I'm only a woman.

Barb Miller
NREL
millerb -at- tcplink -dot- nrel -dot- gov