Re: Testing: The Final Word

Subject: Re: Testing: The Final Word
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 06:40:37 PST

>However, a prospective technical writer with a degree should be competent
>in these areas.

"Should be." Yeah. But things are often not as they should be. I find
that college degrees of any sort are pretty useless as an indicator of
writing potential.

>And certainly an experienced technical writer would be able to
>produce a portfolio.

But did they write any of it? Many of the "writers" who have come
my way have never actually written anything. I'm still astonished by
this. Large segments of the industry don't expect writers to do anything
but make engineer-written documents prettier. I find this incomprehensible,
horrifying, and embarrassing. I thought that the concept of "writers
write" was something that anyone could grasp. But it ain't so.

-- Robert