QUERY: use of term "freshman/freshmen"

Subject: QUERY: use of term "freshman/freshmen"
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 15:56:27 GMT

-> deprecated term. Is the trend in fact towards referring to these stud
-> as "first-year students"? And does "first-year meteorology majors" me
-> the same thing as "freshman meteorology majors"? (The latter question
-> I suppose, more a matter of opinion, so debate away on that one.)

It seems to me only Americans use that terminology. Everywhere else I
can think of, someone in their first year of university is a "First-year
student". It's been this way as long as I can remember, so I hardly
think it's got anything to do with PC because I'm pretty old.

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
MSI * Connecting the world 805-873-2500