(OP) freshman/1st year

Subject: (OP) freshman/1st year
From: Daren Deadmond <DAREND -at- WORDPERFECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 09:06:04 -0700

With March Madness approaching (NCAA Division I
Men's/Women's Basketball Tournaments for all you
non-junkies), I couldn't help but chime in on this topic.

It seems anymore that terms describing one's year in school
(freshman, sophomore...) are used to describe an athlete's
year in school in terms of his/her eligibility (an athlete
generally has five years to complete four years of
competition). Even this gets confusing to the neophyte,
though, when one throws out such terms as "redshirt
freshman," "third-year sophomore," or "fifth-year senior" into
the equation.

But I digress...Did anyone else feel awkward calling
themselves a "junior" or whatever? I sure did. Was my
junior year my third year at school or my third year in my
major according to the hours required by the university?
Confusing...Anyway, back to work!

Daren (darend -at- wordperfect -dot- com)