Re: Contracting to start

Subject: Re: Contracting to start
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 23:06:00 UTC

>> what can I do to maximize my chances of being hired permanently?
>> I*really* liked the company

Once you're inside, it's easy:

deadlines to do it. ("coworker" means anyone who does the same work
you do)

>> suggest that I would like to discuss a permanent job again at
>> the end of the contract

This is probably not necessary. What your experience with this company says
to me is that they are unsure of you, but are interested enough to want to
try you on contract. If they like you, you will probably be offered a
permanent job.

As to contracting, be sure you get a fair wage. If a permanent job is
offered, the wages will probably be based on what you earned as a
contractor. (Usually a bit less than your hourly wage, but with benefits
added. The company will tell you you are being offered a raise. If you
don't believe it, well . . . )

When contracting, I prefer to be represented by an agency. If you are not,
the rules are different. Be sure you know what they are.

Marilynne
m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com