when I see this happen, it is gratifying to me.

From: howardg -at- savvy -dot- com

In an effort to make mngmt aware of my role as their tech writer, I took to
e-mailing upper-level managers when a milestone on their document was
reached. The problem was that managers would see work in progress, but
upper-management only saw a completed book. They had no idea what went into
a 230 page manual
("can't you just type it?").

The weekly updates (or more often, if needed) have raised management's
awareness of the complexities involved in creating usable manuals.