Re: Japanese tech communicators

Subject: Re: Japanese tech communicators
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 1995 13:32:31 PST

>> On the other hand, many technical BOOKS from Japan are extremely clear
>> and well-written, even after mediocre translation.

>How can you tell the translation is mediocre? Maybe the books are
>actually mediocre, and the translation is what makes them seem clear
>and well-written.

In other words:

* Maybe the translator went out and gathered up tremendously
compelling true stories to hammer home the main points.

* Maybe the translator organized the material into a cohesive
whole, with recurring themes and a gradual development.

* Maybe the translator devised a clear, cohesive plan of attack,
reducing the apparently impossible problem of factory modernization
into a series of intuitively correct steps.

I rather doubt it, though. In real books there is enough actual
content to tell if an actual author ever gave thought to the
subject matter. While I admit that certain authors are better
in translation than in English -- James Fenimore Cooper is the
traditional example -- a "translator" who delivers a work with
significantly more content than he started with is doing something
other than translation.

-- Robert