Re: Resumes for Technical Communicators

Subject: Re: Resumes for Technical Communicators
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 07:10:40 PST

>All the executives I ever knew were harried individuals trying to get ther
>difficult jobs done and wih little time for "a warm feeling," whatever that
>is. People tend to send cover letters because they have come to believe
>that those are obligatory.

I think we're talking about different things. When this thread
started, we were talking about applying for regular employment. This
is normally handled, on the company's end, by people who aren't yet
harried executives. In this case, the resume is probably mandatory,
and the cover letter is definitely optional. Lower-level people in
"hiring mode" don't know what to do when faced with a resume-less
applicant.

Now, if you're pitching your company's services, the traditional
approach is to go straight for whoever makes the final decision,
write a specifically targeted letter, and back it up with any
additional material that might be necessary (a brochure explaining
your services, perhaps). A resume would be horribly out of place
here.

But, in any event, no writer should ever write anything unless:

A. It serves a specific function, or

B. The client insists on it, in spite of your impassioned pleas.

A cover letter that's written for no particular reason but its
alleged mandatory-ness fails both tests.

-- Robert

Robert Plamondon * Writer * robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (408) 321-8771
4271 North First Street, #106 * San Jose * California * 95134-1215

"Just cut a few notes and it will be perfect."