Re: Resume vs. cv

Subject: Re: Resume vs. cv
From: "Dan S. Azlin" <dazlin -at- SHORE -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 17:36:21 -0500

On Sun, 5 Mar 1995, Mark Levinson wrote:

> I just got a poke in the virtual ribs from a fellow expatriate American
> for requesting a "cv" from job applicants. Should I have said "resume"?
> Is there a difference in meaning between the two? Are there many qualified
> hunters of writing jobs who don't know what a cv is? Would people expect
> to see "cv" or (capitalized) "CV"?

Having written both resumes and cv's I feel the need to point out that
they are two totally different "animals."

The cv (or curriculum vitae) is typically used by certain professionals
(e.g. doctors) to serve as an exhaustive summary of their professional
background. It typically includes a list of every employment position,
committee membership, papers published and/or presented, speaking
engagements, teaching experience, education, postgraduate training, ad
nausium. It is not unusual to have a cv hard bound. The Harvard format
is one common formal format for a cv.

In short, the CV is not a resume.

Dan Azlin ** Word Engineers, Technical Writing & Publishing **
dazlin -at- shore -dot- net ph/fax 508-921-8908