Re: cover letters

Subject: Re: cover letters
From: Grant Hogarth <CGHogarth -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 21:16:54 -0500

Here's a vote FOR cover letters.

As an applicant, I can pitch what specific points in my background are
applicable to the opening, and highlight others that might not be immediately
obvious from a quick reading of my resume.

As a manager/hiring person, a cover letter often helps me determine if the
person has any writing skills (as compared to what they claim), and also
whether they are really interested in the position, or are just spamming me
(to use a colloqialism).

I agree that a clearly written and organized resume is a rare treasure, and
one to be appreciated, but having a *good* synopsis/precis prepared for me in
the cover letter is worth twice as much as a good resume.

Grant Hogarth
Manager, Technical Services Group, Onyx Graphics.