Re: Subject-line tag suggestions

Subject: Re: Subject-line tag suggestions
From: Bex <rebeccaf -at- COMPNEWS -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 13:54:48 +0000

On Wed, 8 Mar 1995, Arthur Comings wrote:

> > From owner-COPYEDITING-L -at- cornell -dot- edu Wed Mar 8 07:42:50 1995
> > (rest of header deleted)
> >
> > USAGE: usage or grammar issue
> > STYLE: style issue
> > ESSAY: general thoughts on an editing topic
> > JOURN: newspaper-editing issue
> > BOOKS: reference book
> > TOOLS: editing tool that isn't a book
> > WORK: work-related issue (e.g., payment, horror story)
> > JOB OP: employment opportunity
> > HUMOR: humorous editing chat
> > TRIVIA: bit of knowledge only an editor would want
> > QUERY: question that doesn't fit a subject tag

> I'd like to support a cross-list standard, but this doesn't seem like
> much of a start.

> What do you think, folks? Keep those cards and letters coming!

I think we should just start with making a point of putting our own
labels in our subject lines. It would soon become apparent which ones
were most popular and worked best. If necessary, ffter a few months we could
raise the question of standardisation again.

In the meantime, if people post stuff without a label where other people
think there should be one, they can be gently reminded. New people could
have the idea explained to them.

Rebecca Filardo, IS-Liaison, PA Data Design, /\ /\
The Bishop's Manor, Howden, N.Humberside DN14 7BL / o o \
Phone: UK 01430 432480 Fax: UK 01430 432022 > ^ < cat