Re[1]: Re: 'author' as a verb

Subject: Re[1]: Re: 'author' as a verb
From: SANDRA CHARKER <scharker -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 08:30:53 +1000

Reply to message text:

From: Millman_Harvey <millman -at- jmbcorp -dot- mhs -dot- compuserve -dot- com>

> Given that [to author] can cover some or all of the activities
> you describe, it doesn't do an accurate job. That makes it
> less than useful.
----------

Weeeellll... at least if we've got 2 words there's an opportunity to
distinguish between them. I think there's a need for the 2 words. I agree that
there's no commonly understood distinction between them at the moment. If it's
true that there is a need for 2 words, then I think a common understanding of
the distinction will emerge in usage quite quickly -- say 5 years. If there
isn't, either 'to author' will die out, or we'll have another shibboleth to
play with.

Today, if I read "Authored Software Design Document" with no indication of why
the 'writer' was saying authored and not wrote, I would be suspicious. But that
doesn't mean that there isn't a real place for 'author' as a verb.

That said, I still have difficulty imagining myself saying (still less writing)
"I authored 4 online procedures manuals" anywhere except in a discussion of the
verb. But the English language has never shown much willingness to limit itself
to what I can imagine.

Sandra Charker