Re: Odd Pages

Subject: Re: Odd Pages
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 12:58:43 MST

Kelly Burhenne wrote the following excerpts--

> Because each chapter should begin on page one. One is an odd number.
> Therefore, all chapters should begin on an odd page (on the right
> side)!

My logic instructor would probably have fun with that argument ...
But, anyway, unless you're using chapter numbering (1-2,
2-4), there is only one "page 1" in a book, so how can each
chapter begin on page one? I concede that *with chapter
numbering*, all chapters will begin on the right because of the
convention of "page 1" always being on the right.

> Unless you want to start chapters on page two or thirty-two or
> whatever it is you're proposing (which is ludicrous).

Many books, manuals, and guides use consecutive page numbering
throughout the book. It is perfectly feasible for a chapter to
begin on page 32. Unless of course you believe that such
publishers as Simon & Schuster, McGraw-Hill, and Houghton
Mifflin use ludicrous page numbering techniques. I have several
technical reference books from them, and their chapters begin on
both odd and even pages (in the same book).

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=