Re: Looking for jobs with ads

Subject: Re: Looking for jobs with ads
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 13:19:22 -0800

You've just put your finger on a big reason for not counting on, or
even bothering with, tech writer job ads in newspapers. Factor in the
percentage of job listings that are there to fulfill legal requirements
(they've already decided who they want but are bound by law to
advertise it) and another number of ads that are really salary surveys,
and you've got slim pickin's.

I'm with an earlier writer who said that when you are looking for a job
(or a house or a harmonica or are selling a boat or a tent) the main
thing is to TELL EVERYONE.

jb
==============================

I'm wondering why people are talking about looking for jobs through the
newspaper as if it's a thing they're "supposed to do" or "not supposed to do."
Is there really anybody out there who, if they're looking for a job, *doesn't*
check the newspaper?

I realize there may be other strategies, even more effective ones, but why snub
a source that's practically free? Plus, here in Philadelphia at least, it
doesn't exactly take a lot of time to *sort* through the ads for tech writers,
since there aren't more than three in any Sunday paper I've seen in the last 2
years. Not like the ads for programmers, where you would have to spend a
considerable amount of time sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Emily Skarzenski
Head Technical Writer
Fastech, Inc. - Broomall, PA
71220 -dot- 341 -at- compuserve -dot- com