Page Numbering: Multiple Volumes

Subject: Page Numbering: Multiple Volumes
From: "USA::MU17692" <MU17692%USA -dot- decnet -at- USAV01 -dot- GLAXO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 08:45:00 EST

I created a 2,000-page software user manual that was spread over 14
volumes, with each volume having anywhere from six to 12 chapters. I used
Word for Windows and created a sophisticated, two-part macro to generate
an index. The page numbering scheme I used was #.#-#. For example, 12.2-14
indicates volume 12, chapter 2, page 14. Few people use my manual, not
because of the page numbering scheme, but because of the size. So, after
eighteen months of intense work on the paper doc, we're now updating the
manual and moving it into a .hlp file. BTW, with the graphics, the paper
version of the manual is over 278 megabytes. By dumping most of the graphics
and moving to a help file format, we expect to reduce the size of this manual
to about 2 megabytes!

-Mike Uhl (uhl~m -at- glaxo -dot- com)
Glaxo Inc. Research Institute
Research Triangle Park, NC