Vertical headers not tables

Subject: Vertical headers not tables
From: Jo Davidsmeyer <jad -at- TCT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 10:02:58 -0500

> Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 10:27:35 -0900
> From: "Sue Keller, Alaska Sea Grant" <FNSK -at- AURORA -dot- ALASKA -dot- EDU>
> Subject: Vertical text should read UP the page

> Broadside and landscape are terms for a page designed
> to read normally when the book is turned 90 degrees.
> Wide tables and ilustrations are run broadside when they
> are too wide to be placed on the page horizontally. University
> of Chicago Press (as stated in the Chicago Manual of Style) [...]

> I recommend referring to the Chicago Manual of Style
> regularly for answers to most style questions.

Ms. Keller:

Thank you for your recommendation; I already own a copy of CMS and refer
to it regularly. Two of us went through it thoroughly looking for the
answer before I posted the question. The Chicago Manual of Style does not
address my question. Please re-read the original post--no mention was made
of running the entire page broadside.

Thank you, everyone, who has responded to the question about running
headers vertically (a very different question than which way to run
broadside tables). So far responses fall into four areas. Unfortunately
no one has thus far been able to cite a reference source. I will post a
summary in a few days.

On the larger question many have asked: why is there a controversy over
this? Good question. Normally, we "words" people would just defer to
the "pictures" people on a matter of graphic design. Unfortunately, our
former department head has changed policy on us (and the policy lives
on). Now policy is to have "consensus" on all decisions--the definition
being that we all agree on the "right" way to do things. Before our
definition of concensus was that all agreed on the way we'd do it (no right
or wrong implied). This policy is causing much ill-feeling; previously
we could all be team players, go with the group decision, and still keep
our personal opinions. Now it's as if anytime there is a difference of
opinion, one side has to admit they are wrong. With an equal number of
"words" and "pictures" people, we can't even resolve difficulties with
a vote. Managers, please take note.

Jo Davidsmeyer
jad -at- tct -dot- com