File names in text

Subject: File names in text
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 12:28:53 -0800

We've talked about how we include commands in text talking about the
command (in Courier, or on a separate line). I'm editing something now
that mentions a lot of different file names, some with extensions
and some without. Normally, I'd set these off in Courier, just for
clarity, to distinguish them from the text. BUT--this stuff is all
done in ASCII, so I can't use font changes to distinguish anything.
I've decided to use single quotes, because a) I feel like I have to do
something, b) I think they are less intrusive than double quotes, c)
double quotes are used elsewhere for real quoting.

Does this decision make sense?

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com