Re: Do we like our jobs?

Subject: Re: Do we like our jobs?
From: "Chas. Bosdet" <WLFTRIX -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 17:28:37 -0500

Subj: Do we like our jobs?
Date: 95-03-16 18:49:06 EST
From: ellena -at- TOLSTOY -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM

ellena -at- tolstoy -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com writes:
<...>
> I derive tremendous satisfaction from the effective communication
> of ideas. I get great satisfaction from providing a service that is
> both necessary and highly valued. And it's great, when the books,
> or manuals, or guides come out, to be able to pick them up, and
> say, "Hey, I wrote that."
<...>

Couldn't have said it better myself <g>

I've been an independent writing/editing/DTP contractor since January '93,
after 5 or 6 years as a technical writer, editor, and publications manager at
a Fortune 100 company. Before that I spent 12 mostly happy years as a news
editor. Journalism is great, but I particularly like several things about
the technical arena. The "stories" I work on in the technical field --
reports, manuals,
proposals, and so on --

-- Are highly educational. I'm a happy camper as long as
I'm learning something new.

-- Usually deal with tangible products -- things people can *use*
in their daily lives. And sometimes, lives depend on those
products and accompanying documentation.

-- Usually have a reasonably long shelf life -- unlike spot news, which
often becomes "old" hours after it's published.

-- Give me an opportunity to help put *bunches* of people to work.
When I'm working on a new-business proposal, I know I have a
chance to help XYZ Company win a contract that'll put tens,
hundreds, or thousands people to work, or save existing jobs, or
both. I like to think part of my business is keeping people
employed. I find a lot of satisfaction in that.

Anyhow, those are a few of the reasons I like *my* job.

Chas. Bosdet
Lexicorps (tm)
Buena Park, California