Re: Why 60 Hz

Subject: Re: Why 60 Hz
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 20:58:13 PST

>He (Thomas Alva) went so far as to suggest that murderers be sentenced to be
>Westinghouse electricians, and took pains to point out that the first
>electric chair (which was "invented" depressingly quickly after electricity
>was first "domesticated") was run on AC.

Actually, that exectution ENDED the controversy. Line voltage at the
time was 50 VAC, and the electric chair used ordinary line voltage --
not stepped up to high voltage, as you would expect.

The condemned criminal, attached to the electric mains in a way calculated
to maximize lethality, survived the current for a horrifyingly long time.

Nothing was heard about the lethality of alternating current after that.
A lot of people were particularly angry at Edison over this, since he
had led them to believe that this electric chair would be a painless
method of execution -- and that his fraud had led the State of New York
to instead use a method of unparalleled gruesomeness.

-- Robert

P.S. I'm told that 60 Hz won over 50 Hz in the U.S. because 50 Hz had
an objectionable flicker with certain incandescent lamps.