Re: Proper noun use

Subject: Re: Proper noun use
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 08:16:08 MDT

Sonja asks:

>>It really gets down to if there should be a *the* before a proper noun. At
first it may seem a simple question, but trying it with lots of proper nouns
we are no longer sure what to write.

Unless "the" is actually part of the product name, it probably shouldn't be
used whenever the proper noun appears in a sentence. Articles are used to
identify whether or not a noun has been introduced into a dialogue. Proper
nouns already identify unique items, so including the definite article "the"
would only serve to specify a noun that is already specific. Let me pop out
of linguese for a moment an offer some examples.

o A boy bit my dog.

Using an indefinite article indicates that "boy" is a
new noun that has been introduced into the sentence.
It's new information. It's also nonspecific.

o The boy had rabies.

Using a definite article indicates that "boy" is the same boy
mentioned previously. It's old information, and it's specific.

Since proper nouns are already uniquely identifiable, they generally don't take
an article unless the article is already part of the proper noun. Some
exceptions exist (as with most grammatical conventions in English). If someone
says, "I'm keeping up with Jones," a listener has to know exactly which Jones
the speaker means. If a speaker says, "I'm keeping up with the Joneses," the
listener also knows that she/he/it is to distinguish a specific group of Joneses
from all possible Jones phenomena. If the speaker says, "I'm keeping up with a
Jones" . . . well, I think you probably get the point. 8-)

If you're refering to the product's general category (e.g., word processor,
desktop publishing app.), then by all means use an article. If you're using
the product's name, don't use an article unless the product might still be
confused with some other product. (We wouldn't want to mistake THE Washington
Post with just any old post in Washington.)

If this hasn't been clear enough, let me know.

Bill Burns * These are MY opinions,
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * MINE I TELL YOU!
Micron Technology, Inc. *
Boise, ID * (not that they amount to much. . .)
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM *