Organizational Structure and Technical Writers

Subject: Organizational Structure and Technical Writers
From: Robbie Rupel <ROBBIE -at- NENE2 -dot- CMS-STL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 14:21:01 CST6CDT

Hello!

(I am a new subcriber to TECHWR-L, so I apologize in advance if you have
recently discussed this topic.)

I currently work for a company with a small writing department. The
company is re-engineering (I hate that word!), and I am creating a
proposal defining where the technical writers will fit in to the new
organization.

I am looking for opinions on where a technical writer or
writing department best fits into an organization. Specifically, is
it best for a technical writer to

report to a documentation department and be assigned to the
team(s) in which they will work?

report directly to the team in which they will
work?

Does one method produce better documentation? Does one method provide
a better career path for the technical writer? Are there other
organizational methods I have not considered?

I have worked under both systems, so I know of some of the pros and
cons of each. I want to know what other technical writers have
experienced and think about this topic.

Thanks you in advance for your help.
Robbie Rupel
Senior Technical Writer