Filenames ad nauseam

Subject: Filenames ad nauseam
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 09:13:08 EST

On Sat, 25 Mar 1995, Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL> wrote:

<snip>
> For file names, many people brought up the fact that UNIX is
> case sensitive, thus FILE.TXT, File.txt, FiLe.txt,
> ad nauseum, would all be different files.

1. Bev makes a very valid point about capitalizing filenames. I don't
know why people on this list are still discussing putting filenames in
caps, small caps, or initial caps when that practice won't work for all
types of filenames. UNIX is here to stay and is making inroads all over
the place. Seems to me that we have to figure out a way to write
filenames that will work for all operating systems.

Now, before I begin my second topic, I'd like to say that I don't know
Bev, but I have great respect for her. Most of her posts seem right on
target to me and are also delightfully well written. So I'm not singling
out Bev. I just felt that it wasn't fair to cut out her name --
especially since my first point agrees with her argument.

2. I try really hard not to correct people's spelling on the list. Most
misspellings are just slips of the finger anyway, so it's obnoxious to
correct them. However, when the same misspelling occurs on the list twice
in a week, and it looks as if it could keep popping up forever, I have to
say something.

It's "ad nauseam," not "ad nauseum." It comes from the Latin word
"nausea," meaning just what you think it does.

I know, not everybody knows Latin. But if you're going to use a phrase,
you should spell it right. If you misspell it in a published doc, it will
make your company look bad. I'm hoping that this will help those who
didn't know that they didn't know how to spell the aforementioned phrase.

(TIA for being a good sport, Bev!)

|| * \ . . / * || * Melissa Hunter-Kilmer (mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com) *
\\____\X/____// * Bureau of National Affairs (NOT the government!) *
/ * /O\ * \ * Washington, DC *

** BNA and I have a deal -- I don't speak for the company, and it doesn't
speak for me. **