Re: STYLE: Prefaces/Introductions

Subject: Re: STYLE: Prefaces/Introductions
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 09:52:00 -0600

This leads to several questions for general discussion:
1. Do *you* read front matter?

Occasionally. Typically not as the first step for reading the book.

2. Do you agree with Ms. Thoma that most people *don't read*
prefaces or introductions?

Yes.

3. Do you use a preface and/or introduction in your documents?
Why or why not?

Rarely. I'll never put things in a preface which are essential to the
understanding of the document. In the introduction, I *may* put things like the
typographic conventions used in the book. If I do, I'll note that in the TOC to
inform the reader that there's something worth seeing in the introduction.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124