Instructions to "Be Patient" from a Machine

Subject: Instructions to "Be Patient" from a Machine
From: John Gear <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 10:30:00 PST

One gentleperson writes:

>I am currently prefixing one such operation with a Caution message, because
>there is an alternative that would take a shorter period of time (I reference
>the shorter method in the Caution).
>I also use phrases such as "Be patient,this operation may take a few minutes."

This is a pet peeve of mine. I really dislike products that give me
instructions like this -- "Be patient." My response to instructions such as
"Be patient" from a computer is always negative and influences the way I
feel about the product.

And since there are so many good alternatives ("This might be a good time to
get coffee" works for me but probably less for my Mormon friends) why not
just stick with them?

I *do* appreciate warnings for longer operations--but just tell me how long
the operation will take please--don't tell me how to feel about it. Thank you.

John Gear (catalyst -at- pacifier -dot- com)

Another damned, thick, square book! Always scribble, scribble, scribble,
scribble, eh, Mr. Gibbon? -- Duke of Gloucester