Re: Silly jargon (Uncooperative SMEs)

Subject: Re: Silly jargon (Uncooperative SMEs)
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 1995 16:15:24 MST

Michael Priestley made several good comments about the "subject
matter expert" subject. But I couldn't resist responding to one
of them:

> I think a case could be made for subject expert vs. subject matter expert,
> but "subject matter" does seem a little clearer to me than "subject expert"
> - like, are they an expert on nominative clauses, or something? So
> "subject matter expert" may be a little clearer
> (when encountered in context).

So this must make you a "technical matter writer." As simply a
"technical writer" you could be a writer who is overly concerned
with technique. Thus, "technical writer" could apply to any kind
of writer: children's books, poetry, greeting cards. (If this
sounds far-fetched to anybody, just look up "technical" in your
dictionary and read the first definition.)

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "These opinions are mine, not my employer's." =*=