Refresh vs Update

Subject: Refresh vs Update
From: Edunetics <edunet -at- ZEUS -dot- DATASRV -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 09:55:01 +0200

Hi all,

I am responsible for all user documentation and on-screen text in an
application geared towards non-techie users. We need a name for the
command and toolbar button that describes what happens when the screen is
refreshed to display any changes made in the last little while.

The software people here think that Refresh is just fine and very intuitive.
They feel that Update implies changes that the user would have to perform.
A few non-techies (English language editors) had no idea what the Refresh
command would do. They preferred Update.
I'm easy either way, but would like to choose one of them ASAP.

Which do you use? Is Refresh standard computer jargon? Perhaps it's not a
bad idea to help the users learn these type of standard terms and bring
up their level of computer literacy.

Thanks for the help,

Chani Sacharen
edunet -at- zeus -dot- datasrv -dot- co -dot- il