Re: Contractions

Subject: Re: Contractions
From: Seth Greenberg <SETH -at- ELNICE -dot- NICE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 15:58:15 GT-0200

Jackie Campana says:

>I know that contractions shouldn't be used in tech
>writing, but I can't find where it says this.

Well, for starters you could tell your supervisor to
take a look at the rule referenced by the Grammar
checker right in MS Word 6.

Rule: Contractions
Contractions are not acceptable in very formal or
technicl text. If your text is formal, consider
using the expanded form. The use of contracted or
expanded forms should be consistent throughout a text.

If not the folks in QA, at least someone at Microsoft
seems to be thorough.

--Seth Greenberg
seth -at- marketing -dot- nice -dot- com
Tel Aviv