Re: Word/Windows System Resources Question

Subject: Re: Word/Windows System Resources Question
From: timmerman <timmerma -at- IPDLINK -dot- EID -dot- ANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 09:18:38 CDT

RESPONSE TO SYSTEM RESOURCE QUESTION

I have a few tips but can give you only two right now. The others are at home
so I will pass them on later.

1. Change your video resolution from 800x600 to 640x480 or less if you are
working with text and line art only.

2. If you were using more than 16 colors (i.e., 256 colors, etc.) changing to 16
colors would also increase your system resources.

3. Also, if your are using the quick launch application icons (like for MS
Office and Book Shelf) that are placed at the top of you screen during
computer start up, turn them off.

Don Timmerman
Technical Writer, Argonne National Laboratory
dtimmerman -at- anl -dot- gov

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I m trying to beef up my system and thought maybe we could
start a discussion:

Problem: When I open Windows, my system resources are at
80% free. When I open Word 6.0c, the resources drop
immediately to 62%. After I open a document and putz around a
little, I m down to 46-49%. I d like to improve the resource
drain.

My system: Dell 486DX2-66, 16 megs RAM, 350 meg HD,
Windows for Workgroups 3.11, PC Tools for Windows 3.0, DOS
6.2, video driver: VGA 800x600 16-colors.

Oh, and I use WOPR as a Word add-on, though it is recent and
the problem is not. I am connected to a network for printer
sharing, but I am running Word and everything else on my local
hard drive.

I think that about a 10% hit on resources for Word would be
reasonable, but maybe I m asking too much??? I d like to know
what others think/do.

Thanks in advance.

Jane Bergen
janeb -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com