Re: What Degree Would You Get

Subject: Re: What Degree Would You Get
From: Nora Merhar <merhar -at- ALENA -dot- SWITCH -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 13:43:22 CDT

Karen asked me

> Why would a degree in TESL help you do technical translation? (I do do
> technical translation, and I have done ESL, and I see no connection.)

And I reply:

Unlike many of the people on this list (apparently--and this is not a criticism,
just a comment) I have an MA in Technical Writing. I taught during graduate
school, and was friends with a lot of the TESL people, and it just seemed
interesting.

I wasn't sure whether the person who asked the original question was looking for
1. Degrees we would have gotten had we known we were going to get into TW
2. Degrees we thought would have helped us in our TW careers
3. Degrees we would have liked to get concurrent with a TW degree.

Since I am currently an instructional designer, I picked #3 and thought about
what would complement my training.