Re: Degree - Gina

Subject: Re: Degree - Gina
From: "Hiatt, Michel" <MHIATT -dot- INT-MAIL -at- SMTP -dot- INTECOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 09:57:00 CDT

Gina responded and said the following (taken from the whole response):

Case in point -- I graduated from one of the top ten journalism colleges
in the nation and
that was less than nine years ago. Back then we banged away on
an archaic Wang system. Remember Wang?

From Mike H.

I definitely remember Wang, we were owned by them for a few years and
used their word processing system when we quit using paper, pencil,
scissors and paste to provide responses to RFPs for our integrated
voice/data digital telephone switching system. And I, too, have a
journalism degree -- earned almost 25 years ago. I must agree with an
earlier writer who emphasized that what we get from an education must be
more than how to use the current tools, for those will be outdated
shortly after we leave school. What we should gain is an education in
how to think (process not content), question, deduce, extrapolate and
communicate. Oh gee, did I just describe a liberal arts education?!

If I got another degree it would be a masters in interdisciplinary
studies (offered at the University of Texas at Dallas). This is, to my
thinking, a liberal arts master's degree. Please educate me. I can
learn the technology and the tools.