Re: Romay Jean Sitze said:

Subject: Re: Romay Jean Sitze said:
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 11:35:45 -0600

On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, Chris Tarski wrote:

> I agree with Karen K. And as many others have said, you have to know the
> knowledge level of your readers.

Absolutely. This has a definite impact (or should have) on the way you
present your information.

> On
> campus here, I write for an audience that is a mixed bag. However, the people
> who have to pick up the
> documentation to do a particular process is at the low knowledge level. So I
> normally either 1) have the whole
> screen shot, or 2) have a partial screen that is reduced in size with an arrow
> coming from the particular field. That
> field is "exploded" (blown up) to show the detail. By using option 2, I show
on
> a little bitty picture of the screen
> where the particular field is located, and the exploded field is also shown in
> detail.

I like the use of an exploded field. This would be very effective. I
like to use a full screen with call-outs to indicate the fields I will be
discussing relative to a specific task. Placed near the beginning of the
text, this can provide a reference point when I discuss the fields later
so that I can use only the portion of the screen needed for that
particular discussion, yet provide some frame of reference to indicate
location on the full screen.

RoMay Sitze People are persuaded more
rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu by the depth of your conviction
than the height of your logic,
More by your enthusiasm
than any proof you can offer.
-author unknown-