Re: Font readability- know your audience

Subject: Re: Font readability- know your audience
From: The Tech Writer <techwrtr -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 1995 10:49:03 -0700

I can get the source for you soon, but I just found out in my technical
writing class that your audience plays a lot in what typefaces will be
well received, and what will not. Apparently, there was a survey, and
according to the subject's area of study, different typefaces evoked
different responses. For example, if math books used Garamond because it
has a good mathematic symbol set counterpart, then mathematicians would
respond to Garamond better. Whereas an English teacher might respond more
favorably to Times New Roman because their texts used this conventional type.

So, the question boils down to knowing your audience. Check out textbooks
related to the topic you are writing for and see if you can come up with
a consensus.

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com
dcastro -at- hpsrdas -dot- sr -dot- hp -dot- com