Re: Refresh vs Update

Subject: Re: Refresh vs Update
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 21:58:20 -0600

On Fri, 7 Apr 1995, Robert Plamondon wrote:

> >I am responsible for all user documentation and on-screen text in an
> >application geared towards non-techie users. We need a name for the
> >command and toolbar button that describes what happens when the screen is
> >refreshed to display any changes made in the last little while.

> >Which do you use? Is Refresh standard computer jargon? Perhaps it's not a
> >bad idea to help the users learn these type of standard terms and bring
> >up their level of computer literacy.

> "Refresh" is standard computer jargon, but it's also standard
> computer jargon to say that you use "threads" to weave your "lightweight
> processes." But educating the user that the Emperor is wearing very
> elegant clothes is outside the scope of your assignment, I think --
> and there's always the chance that a user might see things differently.

I started out as a non-techie. I was introduced rather early on the the
concept of "refresh" and have had no trouble learning how this term is
applied to computer screens. IMHO, if you take a moment to define the
term, you have educated your audience without offense. In fact, many may
thank you for it later as they will be less likely to sound ignorant with
talking to others more knowledgeable about the process.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu
The body of every organization is structured from four kinds of
bones. There are the wishbones, who spend all their time wishing
someone would do the work. Then there are the jawbones, who do
all the talking, but little else. The knucklebones knock every-
thing anybody else tries to do. Fortunately, in every organization
there are also the backbones, who get under the load and do most of
the work.