Re: What Degree would you Get?

Subject: Re: What Degree would you Get?
From: mkeene -at- UTKVX -dot- UTK -dot- EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 16:46:34 -0500

On Mon, 10 Apr 1995, Romay Jean Sitze wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Apr 1995, Virgina Wade wrote:
> >
> > How many other universities out there offer Technical Communication
> > as a major?
> >

> New Mexico State University has an English Masters in Technical and
> Professional Communications and a PhD which emphasises Rhetoric and
> Professional Communications.

I'm not sure what *level* or *type* of major you're asking about. As far
as I know there are undergraduate certificates, undergraduate minors,
undergraduate emphases within other majors (such as English), BA majors,
BS majors, graduate certificates, MA majors, MS majors, and PhDs. That's
without including the other kinds of degrees that might or might not
amount to pretty much the same thing, such as degrees in Professional
Communication, etc. I think STC has a list of such, and there are at
least a couple of sessions at the upcoming STC convention on the subject.
I guess what I'm saying is that it's not enough to ask "is there
a major in technical communication?" I would suggest asking two or three
levels of followup questions as well--how many hours? faculty qualifications?
internships? required (or at least recommended) courses in science,
engineering, or technology? and so on. There is lots and lots of variety
out there, including some real quality and (I suspect) a few clinkers.

Mike Keene
mkeene -at- utkvx -dot- utk -dot- edu