Internships

Subject: Internships
From: Uwe Reinke <uwe -at- RZ -dot- UNI-SB -dot- DE>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 11:48:50 +0200

FACHBEREICH 8 DER UNIVERSITAET DES SAARLANDES
NEUERE SPRACH- UND LITERATURWISSENSCHAFTEN
FACHRICHTUNG 8.6 - Angewandte Sprachwissenschaft
sowie Uebersetzen und Dolmetschen

Looking for Internships
***********************

To offer students the possibilty to familiarize themselves with the
manifold aspects of their later profession before leaving the university,
we try to find national and international organizations and companies that
can offer internships related to the field of translation, interpreting,
or multilingual technical writing. The addresses and a brief description
of the internship are stored in a database, which can be accessed by the
students. So far the database mainly contains German addresses. In order
to increase the number of foreign companies and organizations, we now try
to reach the relevant people via several Internet listservers.

The department of "Applied Linguistics, Translating, and Interpreting"
at the University of the Saarland offers degree courses for students with
German or French mother tongue. The courses lead to the degrees of
"Diplom-Uebersetzer/in" or "Diplom-Dolmetscher/in" (comparable to a
British or American M.A.). The courses mainly comprise translation or
interpreting into and out of two foreign languages (German students choose
from English, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian; French students take
German and English), the two-year study of a supplementary subject
(economics, mechanical and electrical engineering, or law), and studies
in the field of linguistic data processing (familiarization with
EDP-tools, computer-assisted terminology management, machine-aided and
machine translation). Optional seminars can also include introductions to
technical writing and software localization. During the last six months
of their course and as part of their final examinations students must
write an elaborate thesis on a topic related to their studies. For this
thesis many students choose to do systematic terminology work on a
selected subject area. Topics from the field of linguistic data processing
include, among others, the analysis and evaluation of translation tools
ranging from terminology management software to machine translation
systems.

If your company can offer internships in the field of translation,
interpretation, terminology work, multilingual technical writing or
software localization, please fill in the attached questionnaire. Please
also let us know whether it might be possible for students to write their
theses during the internship (e.g. on a terminological topic of interest
to your company).

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact
us by phone, fax or e-mail (see below). We and our students in particular
would be very grateful for your assistance.

Yours

Uwe Reinke
(coordinator of internships)

--------------------Cut here-----------------------------------
Questionnaire: Internships in Language Services
Address
-------
Company/Department:
Street or PO Box:
Zip code:
Town:
Country:

Phone:
Fax:
Telex:
E-mail:
Contact
-------
Manager of translation agency:
Direct dial:

Contact for internships:
Direct dial:
Prerequisites
-------------
Intermediate exam
("Vordiplom", passed after 2 years of studies) : yes/no

Final exam ("Diplom"): yes/no

Other skills and knowledge required
(e.g. word processing skills,
terminology management, knowledge
in particular subject fields):
General information
-------------------
Duration of internship (min./max.):

Working language(s):

Favoured mother tongue(s):

Special subject field(s):

Tasks during internship
(translations foreign language -> mother tongue,
terminology work, etc.):

Possibility to write diploma thesis
during internship? yes/no
Possible topics:
Payment and coverage of expenses
--------------------------------
Payment:

Lodging
(e.g.: provided/financial support):

Board
(e.g.: provided/financial support):

Travelling expenses
(e.g.: provided/financial support):
--------------------Cut here-----------------------------------

Please send your reply to:

a) snail mail or fax:
---------------------
Universitaet des Saarlandes
FR 8.6, Bau 4
z. Hd. Herrn Uwe Reinke
Postfach 15 11 50
D-66041 Saarbruecken
Phone: ++49/681/302-2929
Fax: ++49/681/302-4440

b) e-mail:
sl16wwur -at- rz -dot- uni-sb -dot- de

PS: Please, use my private e-mail address to send
replies that are not of interest to the list in general!

If you know any other companies or organizations that offer or
might be interested in offering internships related to translation,
interpretation, software-localization, technical writing or other
related fields, please feel free to pass this e-mail on to the
relevant people!