Re: Macs vs PCs

Subject: Re: Macs vs PCs
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 10:50:00 PDT

At 9:18 AM 4/12/95, Suzanne Townsend wrote:
>On Tue, 11 Apr 1995, Tracie Speer wrote:

>> I'm interested in learning what type of computers technical writers use on
>> a regular basis. My background is primarily Mac based and I'm wondering if
>> I should develop my PC skills prior to graduation.

>In answer to all your questions I can only provide a broad stroke: The
>learning involved in PC-based work is "a *lot*." You can decide to *be* a
>Mac-based tech writer, then look for work that fits, rather than trying
>to be fully versed in both platforms. On the other hand, I would *guess*
>that, because there are many many more PC programs on the market than Mac
>ones, that it would be easier finding work in the PC world. Nevertheless,
>if you specialize in Mac, you will eventually find the work that fits -- and
>will be happier specializing in something you already have a head start on!

======================
I'm not do sure that platform matters as much as it used to. Word and Frame
are almost tansparant to both the Mac and the Windows machines. I'd say use
the one you are comfortable with, as long as you canb provide files in a
format your client can use.

Technical Writer/Trainer TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr. Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"All I want is a chance to prove that money can't buy happiness."