Typographic literacy--a place to start

Subject: Typographic literacy--a place to start
From: KnoxML1 <KnoxML1 -at- TEOMAIL -dot- JHUAPL -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 10:54:26 EST

>Gwen Barnes commented:
>>
>>With tech writers being expected to be more involved in the final
>>production of the books, they MUST acquire typographic literacy.

And Dave Prior then asked:

>How does a hard working, no freetime, techwriter
acquire typographic literacy? Anybody got an idea?

I just read a book that gives a marvelous *start* at typographic
literacy. Other books I've looked at were less accessible;
I may go back and try again with the others now that I've read
this one. The book is *short,* well-written, easy to understand,
and cheap (about $15.00, as I recall). I recommend it to
editors & writers struggling not to embarrass themselves when
expected to produce decent-looking pages:

Robin Williams, _The Non-Designer's Design Book: Design and
Typographic Principles for the Visual Novice_, Peachpit Press,
Berkeley, CA, 144 pp.,1994 (ISBN 1-56609-159-4)

Margaret Knox, VIP (*Visually* *Illiterate* *Person*)
(but getting less so...) {:-)

margaret -dot- knox -at- jhuapl -dot- edu