Re: Typographic literacy

Subject: Re: Typographic literacy
From: Paul Sholar <pks -at- GENSYM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 14:53:00 EDT

Dave Prior wrote:

>Begging the question: How does a hard working, no freetime, techwriter
>aquire typographic literacy? Anyboy got an idea?

I recommend:

_The Elements of Typographic Style_, by Robert Bringhurst, 1992,
Hartley & Marks, ISBN 0-88179-033-8 (pbk), 254 pp.

This book also provides some historical context for book design and page
layout. I don't see how a practicing technical writer could outgrow
this book, short of obtaining a degree in fine arts.

Here is the Table of Contents:

Foreword
Historical Synopsis
1 The Grand Design
2 Rhythm & Proportion
3 Harmony & Counterpoint
4 Structural Forms & Devices
5 Analphabetic Symbols
6 Choosing & Combining Type <------+
7 Historical Interlude |
8 Shaping the Page <------+
9 Finishing Touches |
10 Prowling the Specimen Books +--- Very helpful
Appendix A: Sorts & Characters |
B: Glossary of Terms <------+
C: Further Reading <------+
D: Status of Digital Faces

Communicate well and prosper,

Paul Sholar ( pks -at- gensym -dot- com )
Sr. Technical Writer
Gensym Corporation
Cambridge, Massachusetts

DISCLAIMER: Not speaking for Gensym Corporation