Re: TW classifications

Subject: Re: TW classifications
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 11:59:16 -0700

> of a technical writer significantly diminishes after 10 years of
> experience.<<

> No, darlin', you keep growing or you turn into petrified wood. You look for
> new challenges and new ways to do things, and you try to get better. If you
> stop learning, your brain dies and you become one of those lumps of
> protoplasm waiting for retirement. In fact, because of more background, you
> get *better* at finding opportunities for professional development. You know
> how to focus your development rather than being overwhelmed by the many
> subjects available.

> sue stewart
> suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com

Right on, Sue! Way-to-go! I couldn't have said it better myself!
I have been documenting and designing training courses for
software products for 12 years now, and I'm just getting started!
OK, so I can outline a manual for a piece of software in my sleep...
That's the easy part. Online help was new stuff two years ago.
Multimedia tutorials are new stuff this year. Next year, who knows???
(*Maybe* Win95 will finally be released and we'll get to *redesign*
all those help systems using multimedia extensions!)

A technical writer who is any good at what they do, is good
*because* they enjoy learning... figuring things out...
putting the pieces together... What makes you (young
whippersnappers) think that kind of thing stops after 10
years???

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com