Hall of Fame (was Technical Writer Classifications)

Subject: Hall of Fame (was Technical Writer Classifications)
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 13:37:53 -0500

Garret R wrote in part:

>Good point, Guy. I've also been wrestling with the technical writing craft
>as an immature
>profession. One of the ramifications is that we lack what I call a "Tech
>Writers Hall of Fame" as a reference point. Not that there aren't great tech
>writers out there -- far from it. But they tend to toil in anonymity. Only
>by association with STC for many years would you be in a position to even

So true! Saul Carliner (the president-elect of STC) once asked (I think
it was on techwr-l) if we could name the 10 best tech writers of all time.
That really got me thinking--It would be impossible (for me)!

Sure, I can name some writers with great credentials that I've met
through STC, but I've never seen the manuals they have written. Unless
you write a book that I read, your portfolio is likely to be anonymous.

Hmm...I guess this is another reason to view the publications competition
winners at the conference!

LaVonna

LaVonna F. Funkhouser technical writer for COREComm
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com 1994-1995 OK Chapter President,
Society for Technical Communication

<=*=> Ethernet (n): Something used to catch the Etherbunny. <=*=>