Discuss: Third party manuals?

Subject: Discuss: Third party manuals?
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 1995 16:53:49 GMT

-> Have you visited your bookstore lately? Check out the computer
-> section: wall to wall books on how to get the most out of PageMa
-> WordPerfect, MS Word and a host of other applications. I note, p
-> devil's advocate here, that the three programs I've just named a
-> produced by some of the largest software companies in the world,
-> of which has a reputation for spending lots of money on their
-> technical writers. So what's going on here?

In a word, piracy. How else is someone going to learn the program if
they don't have manuals? Notice that a lot of the 'aftermarket' manuals
are published by Microsoft Press, about Microsoft products which
already have manuals of their own. Bill Gates ain't dumb -- if he can't
get the $$$ out of them for the legit version of the program, he can
cut his losses and at least make them buy the aftermarket manuals.

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
MSI * Connecting the world 805-873-2500