Re: Journalism & Tech Writing

Subject: Re: Journalism & Tech Writing
From: Garret Romaine <GRomaine -at- MSMAIL -dot- RADISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 13:33:00 PDT

----------
>From: TECHWR-L
>To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
>Subject: Re: Journalism & Tech Writing
>Date: Tuesday, April 18, 1995 1:44PM

>I was trained as a journalist prior to becoming a tech writer. I believe
the
>two fields are related in many ways. You must explain sometimes complex
>situations in simple language to the lowest common denominator in your
>audience. You must work to pull the information out of sources and draw
your
>own conclusions as well. But most of all I think the ABCs of journalism
>(accuracy, brevity, and clarity) are essential to good tech writing.

>Ron

In case a statistical pool is starting, I, too, started life as a
journalist, and Ron is right on here. I'd also add that the following
experience was relevant: juggling multiple assignments, dealing with egos
(politicians vs. engineers) handling long-range planning, and cultivating
sources.

I'll never forget the first time I complained to my editor that I was vastly
underpaid. He looked me in the eye and said, "Garret, there are a hundred
writers in this town that would kill for your job." He was probably right.
I'm not sure how many would want the job I have now, but the pay is about
3x.

Garret Romaine
gromaine -at- radisys -dot- com