More technical writing books

Subject: More technical writing books
From: Jennie Achtemichuk <jennie -dot- achtemichuk -at- MCCAW -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 08:25:46 -0700

Paul Sholar writes: "Gregory Keith ( gkeith -at- delrina -dot- com ) might also add the
books by
the clever Edmund Weiss. His _How to Write a Usable User Manual_ was out of
print for a
while, as the original publisher went belly-up."

I have the latest on my bookshelf:

How to Write Usable User Documentation
Edmond H. Weiss
Second edition, 1991
Oryx Press, 4041 North Central at Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85012-3397

This is not a bibliography entry, so please don't correct me on it. The
information above
is correct. If you want to order it, you can get it by mail through the press.
I don't have
their phone number with me, though.

If you see two-page formats around, this is probably where the concept came
from. His
book covers more than format (or presentation); he proposes a complete strategy
for
developing documentation or training materials. I know some who use this method
exclusively because the process works so well.

Happy reading!
Jennie Achtemichuk (206) 828-0229
Kirkland, WA
Independent Consultant (tech communication, instructional design)
Employment Chair, Seattle chapter, STC
Chair, Steering Committee, Visual Communicators PIC (in formation), STC