Re: Hourly Rates for Contract Writers

Subject: Re: Hourly Rates for Contract Writers
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 1995 10:10:11 -0400

I'm fairly new to freelancing, but this is what I did:

I knew what I had been making as an employee, so I added about 25% (to cover
the benefits I'd have to pay myself. The resulting $ value falls within the
STC scale, even considering benefits and conversion to $CDN.

When I submitted the proposal for the client I have now, I offered the first
300 hours at a reduced rate (about 3/4 of my final rate). That way the
client got a break during my learning period, yet I knew he had enough work
to keep me busy 25-30 hours a week for at least a year just to document the
software, projects, and procedures he has in house now.

>On Thu, 20 Apr 1995, Brennan, Walt wrote:

>> I need data on average rates for consulting

>This seems like a good time to bring up the subject of how consulting

> RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu

Win Day
Technical Writer/Editor
Email: winday -at- idirect -dot- com