Writing a functional spec?

Subject: Writing a functional spec?
From: Sue MacIntosh <sue -at- PAGES -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 12:06:48 -0700

Hi everyone,

After years of writing software user manuals, I'm finally in a
position to be involved at the beginning of a project, and I've been
asked to write and maintain the functional spec. Every tech writer's
dream, right? There's one problem. I don't even know where to begin!
Can any of you recommend reading material so I can research what I
should be writing? What does a functional spec actually describe and
what are its components? Are there engineering or software societies
that have standard formats for functional specs?

Incidentally, the project is for a Windows WYSIWYG HTML editor.
We've been on NEXTSTEP for almost 5 years and have finally decided to
port to Windows.

If you don't mind, please e-mail me directly. I get TECHWR-L in
digest format, so I won't get your responses until tomorrow if you
post them. I will consolidate and post the results to the list.

Thanks in advance,

Sue

Susan M. MacIntosh
Technical Documentation and Training